Follow ETF Watch on Twitter for all the newest ETF filings.
Editor's Note: As of the start of 2012, ETF Watch has transitioned to daily updates, rather than weekly.
Note: Want to receive an email notice as soon as ETF Watch is posted?
FRIDAY, AUG. 17
Columbia To Expand Lineup Significantly
Columbia Management, which currently only has five ETFs trading, signaled its plans to dramatically expand its lineup with a pair of filings that cover 15 new ETFs in all. The asset classes to be targeted by the funds range from foreign equities to domestic fixed income; all of the funds will be actively managed.
The first filing includes 10 funds:
- Columbia AMT-Free Muni Target 2015 ETF
- Columbia AMT-Free Muni Target 2016 ETF
- Columbia AMT-Free Muni Target 2017 ETF
- Columbia AMT-Free Muni Target 2018 ETF
- Columbia AMT-Free Muni Target 2019 ETF
- Columbia Emerging Markets Equity ETF
- Columbia Dividend Income ETF
- Columbia Tax-Exempt ETF
- Columbia Pacific/Asia Equity ETF
- Columbia Small/Mid Cap Growth ETF
The other filing covers five funds:
- Columbia European Equity ETF
- Columbia Limited Duration Credit ETF
- Columbia Short Term Bond ETF
- Columbia Small/Mid Cap Value ETF
- Columbia U.S. Government Mortgage ETF
Neither of the filings include tickers or proposed expense ratios.
Global X Plans EM 'Consumer' ETFs
Global X Funds recently filed for three regional emerging markets ETFs that will target consumer-oriented equities. The funds will invest in equities of companies that produce and sell goods and services in emerging markets. The filing did not include tickers or fees for the ETFs.
The three funds include:
- Global X Africa Consumer ETF
- Global X Asia Consumer ETF
- Global X Latin America Consumer ETF
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 15
EGA Launches More EM ETFs
Emerging Global Advisors rolled out two more ETFs focused on emerging markets on Wednesday. The EGShares Beyond BRICs ETF (NYSEArca: BBRC) targets non-BRIC countries like Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Hungary, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Peru, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, Thailand and Turkey. The EGShares Emerging Markets Domestic Demand ETF (NYSEArca: EMDD), on the other hand, targets sectors that rely on domestic demand, drawing its components from the consumer discretionary, staples, telecommunications, utilities and health care sectors in 11 emerging markets. BBRC and EMDD both come with expense ratios of 0.85 percent.
Direxion Files For Dow 30, European ETFs
A recent filing from Direxion Funds outlines plans for four geared ETFs linked to the Dow Jones industrial average and a bull/bear pair of triple exposure funds tied to a European index. They will all come with an expense ratio of 0.75 percent.
The Dow 30 funds include double- and triple-exposure pairs:
- Direxion Daily Dow 30 Bull 2X Shares
- Direxion Daily Dow 30 Bear 2X Shares
- Direxion Daily Dow 30 Bull 3X Shares
- Direxion Daily Dow 30 Bear 3X Shares
The pair of European ETFs will include:
- Direxion Daily European Equity Bull 3X Shares
- Direxion Daily European Equity Bear 3X Shares
TUESDAY, AUG. 14
First Trust Launches 2 Income-Oriented Funds
First Trust rolled out two ETFs on Tuesday, a multi-asset-class income fund and a dividend-focused tech fund. The First Trust Multi-Asset Diversified Income Index Fund (NasdaqGM: MDIV) tracks an index that covers a range of asset classes to achieve diversification, while screening out high-volatility securities. It charges an expense ratio of 0.68 percent. Meanwhile, the First Trust Nasdaq Technology Dividend Index Fund (NasdaqGM: TDIV) selects telecom and technology companies that pay dividends; it comes with an expense ratio of 0.50 percent.
Direxion To Close 9 Funds
Direxion announced that it would be closing nine of its triple-exposure ETFs on Sept. 5, with the actual liquidation scheduled for Sept. 12. The funds that are closing include:
- Direxion Daily Agribusiness Bull 3X Shares (NYSEArca: COWL)
- Direxion Daily Agribusiness Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: COWS)
- Direxion Daily Basic Materials Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: MATS)
- Direxion Daily BRIC Bull 3X Shares (NYSEArca: BRIL)
- Direxion Daily BRIC Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: BRIS)
- Direxion Daily Healthcare Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: SICK)
- Direxion Daily India Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: INDZ)
- Direxion Daily Latin America Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: LHB)
- Direxion Daily Retail Bear 3X Shares (NYSEArca: RETS)
MONDAY, AUG. 13
Sage Quant Files For First ETF
ETF industry newcomer Sage Quant Management filed for its first ETF recently. The Sage Low Volatility Dividend Fund will target companies that pay dividends and exhibit low-volatility performance. The passively managed fund will track an unnamed index with roughly 150 components selected from the large- and mid-cap segments of the market. The filing did not include a ticker or fees.