Follow ETF Watch on Twitter for all the newest ETF filings.
Editor's Note: As of the start of 2012, ETF Watch has transitioned to daily updates, rather than weekly.
Note: Want to receive an email notice as soon as ETF Watch is posted?
FRIDAY, SEPT. 28
FlexShares Debuts Two More 'Tilt' ETFs
Northern Trust's FlexShares unit rolled out a pair of "Tilt" ETFs that focus on small-cap and value stocks. The firm already had one such fund targeting the U.S. market; the new additions to its line up – the FlexShares Morningstar Emerging Markets Factor Tilt Index Fund (NYSEArca: TLTE) and FlexShares Morningstar Developed Markets ex-US Factor Tilt Index Fund (NYSEArca: TLTD) – cover emerging markets and non-US developed markets, respectively. TLTE comes with an expense ratio of 0.65 percent, while TLTD charges 0.42 percent.
QuantShares Plans Intelligent Beta ETFs
QuantShares recently filed for six ETFs providing equities exposure via "smart beta" strategies. The filing said the funds are slated to be listed on the NYSE Arca exchange but did not provide tickers or expense ratios. The list of ETFs includes:
- QuantShares U.S. High Dividend Absolute Return Fund
- QuantShares U.S. High Momentum Fund
- QuantShares U.S. High Quality Fund
- QuantShares U.S. Low Beta Absolute Return Fund
- QuantShares U.S. Low Beta Fund
- QuantShares U.S. Relative Value Fund
MONDAY, SEPT. 24
Global X Closing 4 Funds
Global X announced it would be closing four of its ETFs as of Oct. 18. The funds, which have failed to accumulate significant assets, will be completely liquidated on Oct. 26.
The ETFs and their assets are:
- Global X Aluminum ETF (NYSEArca: ALUM), $2.4 million
- Global X Auto ETF (NYSEArca: VROM), $2.7 million
- Global X Nasdaq 500 ETF (NasdaqGM: QQQV), $1.5 million
- Global X Nasdaq 400 Mid Cap (NasdaqGM: QQQM), $1.4 million
Since the beginning of the year, 86 ETFs and ETNs have already been shut down, a significant jump from the 30 funds closed in 2011.